Friday, June 16, 2006

A Pop-Tart entry

I feel there's still a place in my life for a blog, there's something that can be done with it. Mostly I guess to try to share what I've learned with family and friends; to provide a small glimpse of what for me is everyday life that for others is difficult to imagine.

Having a 3rd child changed my life more than the 1st, if that's possible. I thought after the 2nd that it wouldn't make such a big difference; boy, was I wrong! One of the effects, of course, has ben to curtail blogging.

One thought on the whole sexuality debate.

If two married people have an affair, should they be labeled "adulterers"? Is their smouldering desire, and the act of cheating what they ARE, rather than what they DO? It seems to me that a lot of people would object to labeling people as BEING something, when it's clear that their affair, their act, is not the whole story of their lives. It's like labeling the woman with the scarlet letter; saying that she IS such-and-such, rather than she has DONE, or ENGAGES in such-and-such.

And yet that is precisely what we do with people who engage in homosexual activity, and we have even made it acceptable to speak of them as BEING 'gay', and they that live this way are still struggling today to affirm that which is by no means self-evident, that they take pride in it.

Take away the label of being homosexual, and the entire debate changes. Orthodox Christians hold that many of our desires should not be acted on, and an alcoholic or drug addict faces the same problem as the homosexual, and is just as much in need of the love of Christ and others and help to overcome their desires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home